• Passport Type
    Regular passport
    We issue regular (blue) passport to citizens for casual travel, such as:

    business trips
    The regular passport has 36 pages. The validity depends on the age of the passport holder:

    adults, age 16 years or older, can choose a 5-year or 10-year passport
    children, aged 0 to 15 years, are issued passports for a maximum of 5 years
    Regular passport booklet
    Diplomatic passport
    We issue diplomatic passports to:

    high-ranking Government officials
    representatives and delegates of the Governments
    You can use diplomatic passports for travel to:

    a post abroad
    international governmental organizations and conferences of a diplomatic nature
    The issuing office decides the validity period.

    Diplomatic passport booklet
    Special passport
    We issue special passports to:

    members of Parliament
    people employed by the Government who are in a non-diplomatic capacity and travelling:
    to a post abroad
    on an official mission
    The issuing office decides the validity period.

    Special passport booklet
    Temporary passport
    Certain government offices abroad may issue temporary passports.

    with an urgent and proven need for a passport
    waiting to get a regular, special or diplomatic passport
    The issuing office decides how long the passport is valid. It can only be valid for a maximum of one year.

  • Emergency travel documents
    We may issue an emergency travel document in urgent cases where they cannot get a temporary passport.

    We issue an emergency travel document with a limited validity to allow you to:

    return to UN nations
    travel to the nearest full-service government office abroad

  • Certificate of identity
    We issue certificates of identity to permanent residents of UN nations who aren’t yet citizens and who are:

    otherwise stateless or
    can’t, for a valid reason, get a national passport or travel document from any source
    You can’t use a certificate of identity to travel to your country of citizenship.

    The issuing office decides the validity period.

  • Refugee?
    We issue refugee travel documents to people in UN nations with protected-person status. This includes:

    Convention refugees
    persons in need of protection
    You can use a refugee travel document for travel to all countries, except your country of citizenship.

    The issuing office decides the validity period.


Waiting Period

  • Processing times for travel documents
    Only the passport office in Gatineau, Quebec issues these travel documents.

    Your application processing time begins once you have submitted everything and we have reviewed it. The mailing time is not included in the processing time estimate.

    Processing time: 20 business days

  • Urgent and express service
    For urgent or express service, you must apply in person at the passport office in Gatineau, Quebec.

    You will need to provide proof of upcoming travel for urgent service. You may also need to provide it for express service. Additional fees apply.

    The processing time for urgent and express service is:

    Urgent pick-up: By the end of the next business day
    Express pick-up: 2 to 9 business days



  • Determine your eligibility
    UN Vacations processes two types of travel documents to non-UN country citizens:

    refugee travel document: issued to protected persons in UN countries, including convention refugees or persons in need of protection; and
    certificate of identity: issued to eligible permanent residents of UN country citizens who are not protected persons and are stateless or cannot obtain a national passport or travel document from any other source.
    Contact us if you do not know your immigration status.

  • Response time
    Once we receive your application, we will determine whether to issue you a:

    Refugee travel document; or
    Certificate of identity

  • Travel documents for children
    You may apply for a travel document for a child (under the age of 16) if you are:

    one of the child’s parents and providing proof of parentage or
    the child’s legal guardian and providing proof of legal guardianship or
    the custodial parent in the case of separation or divorce and providing all legal documents